Council Jobsworths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/7400791.stm

I am amazed at the routine for emptying recycle wheely bins. Someone must go along and lift the lid and rummage inside, then get a notepad out and write a note or stick a label on the bin if they spy something untoward at the top of the rubbish.

Firstly, how far down the contents of the bin do they search for misplaced rubbish?
If only the top few inches then the stupid excuse that 'wrong things can contaminate a full wagon load of recycleable stuff' is bullsh1t because if some wrong stuff is near the bottom of the wheely bin then they will not see it and it will be tipped in with everything else.

Secondly, why doesn't the prat with the labels just lift the offending item from the bin and put it where it should go, namely up (Edit: dave don't go down that road).

Sponsored Links
Living not far away from said Nazis, I can vouch for the fact that a fine toothcomb is used on every bin. They won't empty them if the lid is not fully closed; nor will they pick up stuff next to the bin, citing health and safety reasons (might get back strain ffs).

In fact, it's such a pain working out what can and can't go in the bleedin' bin, which changes periodically as well, I don't bother any more and stuff the lot in the general bin. The only exception to this is when the general bin is starting to get a tad full... :)

H&S - lifting by binmen - load of cobblers isn't it? In our area the binmen used to remove bags from dustbin if visible from gate... What he, binman on point, also did, and still does, is to move all binbags to a central point in culs-de-sac - only difference is I carry the bags to the gate and leave 'em there, pointman collects from several gatwes then carries two handfuls (4 and more bags) at a time to central pile.
The management do not even know how their guys work !!

I bet they choose their bin for sifting, if ever spot one at my bin I'd make sure next time it would be a dirty, sticky experience !!
:D

We still use black bags, and the lead man places them all in a central pile.

Really can't fault our guys, 10/10

They even pick up if I'm late putting them out.

Sponsored Links
we are their slaves we collect and sort for them and pay them for that privelege and dont see any reduction in the council tax even though they sell the materials on to be processed so therefore we work for nothing, pay for nothing and receive nothing for all the work. great eh?

Does anyone remember when the bin men would actually come into your garden, get the bin and then take it to the truck, empty it and then bring it back and close the gate?

And if you were about would actually stop for a chat and would know your name.

Now, unless the bag is not in precisely the designated spot, then it wont be taken as they run past on target for the early finish at 11AM

Eeh ba eck those were t'rose tinted days, wi' roses in t'front garden, leanin' on t'gate passing time of day wi' t'bin man... :LOL:

Does anyone remember when the bin men would actually come into your garden, get the bin and then take it to the truck, empty it and then bring it back and close the gate?
They also typically received nice tips at Christmas for being so helpful ... How many people do that nowadays ... We still do for the record as, like DOI's, our bin people are fantastic ... No recycling, everything in black bags, as much as we like, and they always take everything without complaint.

Oh how I wish we were back in simpler times :LOL:

MW

What gets me is the completely different approach taken by neighbouring councils;
I’m covered by South Norfolk where they introduced wheelie bins about 3 years ago but the guys are really good here, unlike it seems Breckland where I believe this case originates. No sign here of checking individual bins that I can see, it doesn’t matter if the lid isn’t fully closed & they will even take additional stuff left next to the recyclable bin.

Recycling centres also seem to operate on a postcode lottery; I live just on the Norfolk side of the Norfolk/Suffolk border & it seems what you can take to any recycling centre in Norfolk is severely limited to one sack, anything more you have to pay for; I believe £15 for a car & £50 for a van or truck! So once every 2 weeks I take my truck to a centre that’s actually in Suffolk where I dump all the green & general stuff not put in the bins + all the junk from the building works I’m doing that won’t burn; bathroom suits, old furniture, fixtures & fittings, the lot. All the guys & galls there are great & very helpful, they know me as a regular but have never actually asked me where I’m from; I keep wondering how much longer this can last though & pay to throw in the bins can’t be that far off!

No restriction at Strumpshaw, btw Rich, although they don't let obvious trade vans drop stuff off there, though. However, the amount of sorting you have to do of the stuff you want to dump beggars belief.

No restriction at Strumpshaw, btw Rich, although they don't let obvious trade vans drop stuff off there, though. However, the amount of sorting you have to do of the stuff you want to dump beggars belief.
Bit of a trek for me, Eye is much closer; must get to the Steam Museum up there one day though, been promising myself for 4 years now & still haven’t managed it! :cry:

It's a really interesting weekend - Fred Dibnah used to come along as well, lovely man. We get to see them all trundling up the road and the smell is so evocative of them there steam days. Not far from the tip too, so you could combine...! It's on weekend after this.

I'm not far away either (less than 2 miles), so if you're coming up, let me know and pop in for a cuppa :)

Sponsored Links
Back