Couple of Decorating Quickfire Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just about to start decorating some newly plastered rooms, plus doors / door linings... have a couple of questions hopefully can be cleared up quickly ;)

1) Bathroom is currently just plaster... should i mist coat with stnadard emulsion (as with other rooms) and then finish with two coats of bathroom specific (i.e. moisture / steam resistant) paint? Or instead, do a mist coat with watered down bathroom paint instead...? perhaps it won't matter tbh?

2) I have MDF mouldings (architrave and skirting), but softwood door linings... can i paint it ALL in MDF water-based (keen to avoid all solvent based paint) primer? I.e. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Trade-MDF-Primer-1L/p/121751 - or should i use wood specific stuff? - I'll prep the softwood linings before priming etc, just keen to avoid yet another tin of stuff for another targeted job if not required.

3) Finally, once primed with something suitable (probably MDF primer again if suitable), can internal doors, be painted in emulsion, or do they have to be painted with a wood specific paint? The reason for asking is that we are struggling to match the colour to wood-specific paint (after something white, but not pure brilliant that can be put onto door, mouldings, coving etc and match)

Thanks!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Wotchya
1) Use a normal standard mat emulsion for a mist coat, then paint over with whatever you choose.
2) Ronseal used to sell a multi purpose primer, for wood and MDF, so I should imagine it would be ok. Personal choice for me is oil based because water based can make MDF fibres swell, and I am too chicken to take the risk on new, expensive projects!
3) Nope, you can't use emulsion on a door. Well, you can but if you think about it, the door is one of the most used/passed through/knocked bits in your house. You'd have to be so very careful not to knock, scrape or breath on it the wrong way so not to damage the weaker paint. Wood paint is designed for these jobs and to be hard wearing. It would also look pretty terrible too using emulsion. Sorry.

Wotchya
1) Use a normal standard mat emulsion for a mist coat, then paint over with whatever you choose.
2) Ronseal used to sell a multi purpose primer, for wood and MDF, so I should imagine it would be ok. Personal choice for me is oil based because water based can make MDF fibres swell, and I am too chicken to take the risk on new, expensive projects!
3) Nope, you can't use emulsion on a door. Well, you can but if you think about it, the door is one of the most used/passed through/knocked bits in your house. You'd have to be so very careful not to knock, scrape or breath on it the wrong way so not to damage the weaker paint. Wood paint is designed for these jobs and to be hard wearing. It would also look pretty terrible too using emulsion. Sorry.
Hi,

thanks for the answers.. interesting re: the water based primer on MDF swelling, i'll do a bit more research on that one i think

re: paint for doors and mouldings, that's totally cool re: the emulsion, bit of a long shot i know ;) - is it possible to get wood paint mixed to match a targeted colour? as i'm say, i'm after a white... but just not pure brilliant white.

Thanks!

is it possible to get wood paint mixed to match a targeted colour? as i'm say, i'm after a white... but just not pure brilliant white.

Thanks!
Yes, you could try your local homebase or if you've a brewers near by, they are a good store.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back