Cover for hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there, in the local park we have a hole over an old unused land drain)
It's been there for several years, every now and then the parks dept do something totally inappropriate like throw a cheap paving slab over it or a pallet.
This then gets broken by the yobberrati.

The park friends group would like to do something more permanent, can you suggest a better thing to cover it.
There must be a manhole cover type lid we can get that's going to be vandal proof and more permanent?

(Council approval is not an issue).

1656449440117.png

Sponsored Links
surely there must be water running underneath?

otherwise you could shovel rubble or earth into it and it would stay full.

how do you know it is a land drain?

Get a proper Grade A (Heavy duty) cover and frame, they wont lift it without the proper keys, and it'll be in no more danger of being lifted/stolen/lobbed in the brook than any other cover round and about.

Sponsored Links
surely there must be water running underneath?

otherwise you could shovel rubble or earth into it and it would stay full.

how do you know it is a land drain?

It's an unused drain, the rest of it caved in years ago.
I know because we have several of these land drains in this area, very common in them thar hillls.
Oh, and the council parks guy told me so :)

If someone fell in there and claimed from the council, that hole would disappear immediately.

HI there, in the local park we have a hole over an old unused land drain)
It's been there for several years, every now and then the parks dept do something totally inappropriate like throw a cheap paving slab over it or a pallet.
This then gets broken by the yobberrati.

The park friends group would like to do something more permanent, can you suggest a better thing to cover it.
There must be a manhole cover type lid we can get that's going to be vandal proof and more permanent?

(Council approval is not an issue).

View attachment 273307
I find it hard to believe that if reported to the council/landowner then a permanent solution would not be made PDQ, as mentioned a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I find it hard to believe that if reported to the council/landowner then a permanent solution would not be made PDQ, as mentioned a lawsuit waiting to happen.

In writing

Until you get a written reply admitting that the hole exists.

Get the local paper round there, confront the councillor responsible for parks and recreation and ask him why nothing has been done and will some kiddie have to be seriously injured before they act.

Done that but without the paper, still waiting for them to do it.
What I'm after is suggestions how best to do it and maybe we can do it better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back