Unused septic tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We were connected to mains drainage about 5 years ago. We had the old septic tank emptied at the time but weren't really sure if we needed to do anything else.

I noticed that the inspection /manhole cover is now rusting through - it crumbles to the touch. It does have an old paving slab over it so no immediate problem.

Do i just buy a new cover and leave it as is? I have been told a few horror stories lately about unused tanks collapsing or "Rising up through lawn".

Thanks
S

Sponsored Links
Get a new lid and bed it in place.

Do i just buy a new cover and leave it as is? I have been told a few horror stories lately about unused tanks collapsing or "Rising up through lawn".
I would be more concerned about toddlers and the like falling in!

I have been told a few horror stories lately about unused tanks collapsing or "Rising up through lawn".
Why would that happen? Bouyancy can be an issue with large, empty structures in the ground if the water table rises, but a septic tank would be pretty useless in a high water table area (It would become a holding tank which would have to be pumped periodically).
It would be empty on some occasions even when in use anyway, so even in a high water table area would need to be designed not to rise up.

Sponsored Links
thanks both - just wanted to be sure. I plan to get a new cover but didn't want to get one and then find out tank had to be removed or something. I had a feeling I was being wound up but wanted to be sure.

There has always been a single paving slab a good bit larger than the cover sitting on top of the cover so if a toddler were to make it past the locked gate, the dog and the large pond then they would be fine anyway. ;)

S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back