Covered walkway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wandering the best way to do this. I have been asked to put up a clear roof over an alleyway between 2 houses. its approx 1600mm wide X 8.5 metres long.

My initial thoughts are to use clear corrugated sheets on a timber frame sloping from front to back along the whole length. A major concern of mine is the flashing.

As this roof isnt going to run parrallel with a mortar line, where / how is the best way to seal the brick-pvc joint?

I know normally you would rake out a channel in the mortar so the lead can be cemented in but as this wont be in line with a mortar line, whats the best thing to do?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
why won`t it be in line with mortar line :confused: is it on a slope - any chance of a picture ;)

Assuming that it won't be inline with a jot bcause of the fall. You should ,however, be able to have a couple of steps in the flashings, i.e. run the flashing from the top as normal and when the roof has dropped by the thickness of a brick course then drop a new piece of flashing by a course thus creating the step.

whatever you do I'd say don't go down a flashband route :mad:

Hi Ladylola,

Thanks for the guidance. Placing the flashing straight, then dropping it by the thickness of a brick makes total sense - Rather than grinding out a channel in line with the fall. Thank you.

When you say not to go down the flashband route, do you mean to use lead instead?

Also, I have 2 vertical grey 4" soil pipes to work around - 1 on each wall. Whats the best way to seal these?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah lead every time over flashband which doesn't have a very long lifespan in my experience even when used with the primer etc plus it will leave a mess on the wall should the roof ever be removed.
The vertical pipes are a problem as you have very little option but to surface mount something to them . I've seen lead aprons used for this with a welded vertical section sealed at the top with some mastic like leadmate fixed with a large jubilie clip. If you can then arrange the sheet joints so that the uppermost sheet is sitting on top of the lead then your chances of a watertight finish should be improved.

Great stuff..... thank you! It will be done this weekend hopefully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back