Cutting and installing clear pvc corrugated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So I have a small shed/workshop area, that has all ready got guttering installed.

The back slope end will run off into the gutter, and all of this has been worked out.

I have brought light pvc clear corrugated sheets, that I do need to cut some off, what is the best way to do so?

Next thing, would you add internal support on an area about 600mm wide with some 1100mm deep? Or would support on 4 sides be enough?

I have all the correct fixings already just don’t want to install and find out that a cat would break it or something along those lines.

Sponsored Links
Yes put some sort of support structure in- 3 x 2 or the cls that b & q etc keep flogging is perfect so you have support every 300-500mm or so.
Hot wire cutter or a diamond disc on an anglegrinder work well. Multitool might also do well, not tried it. Jigsaws, hand saws etc can lead to sheets splitting- the stuff is pretty flimsy.
Next time use fibreglass corrugated sheet, much stronger.

I did have access to fibreglass, but really wanted a clear as possible roof.
I plan to upgrade the roof sometime in the next couple of years to 6mm acrylic clear sheets. So didn’t want to spend too much on clear pic corrugated sheets especially as I can brace them, although I can’t seem to find how much weight they could hold.

I did have access to fibreglass, but really wanted a clear as possible roof.
I plan to upgrade the roof sometime in the next couple of years to 6mm acrylic clear sheets. So didn’t want to spend too much on clear pic corrugated sheets especially as I can brace them, although I can’t seem to find how much weight they could hold.
Not much. A cat wandering won't break them but a bit of slate or a pebble dropped by a bird will go through.

Sponsored Links
That is something we do have problems with, my home is under pylons, and sadly some birds somehow get electrocuted and full down like a massive rock, it’s broken our shed roof, our house roof too…
Although it is now rare we also have military low flying over our home as it’s in the perfect path for navy testing, and a few times per day we get air ambulances fly over too. They fly low enough that some items fall of shelves, pictures off the wall… anyway I do think as long as a cat can walk on the roof, I am happy. I do plan to upgrade this in the future though(even a few years)

with corrugations, you need support across the ridges as said above at 450-600mm centres minimum this does put timbers at around 50mm less than centres in spacing so will look a bit less
all support must be fully across otherwise the plastic is unrestrained and can rattle and stretch with ought the support needed

Supports as per the supplier's or manufacturer's guidelines.

Cut with an angle grinder, preferably 4" or a mini grinder.

I found that they cut nicely with a multitool and half moon metal blade.
Also with dremel tool but takes longer.
Put a straight piece of tape along the line you want to cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back