Flashing for porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We are going to make a small wooden porch at the side of our home, approx 4.0m long and 1.5m wide and I will be using corrugated clear roofing sheets 1.3mm thick to cover the roof of it.
The walls of the house are all pebble dash and the structure is stone under that.

My question is joining the sheets to the house? Would the best way be to chase out with a grinder and fit a strip of 6" lead across the 4.0m length or is there another way? I did see corrugated flashings that can be purchased but they have to be attached to the side of the house and I think they would leak and look a bit of a mess?

No sides on the porch It will be just against the house to keep the bins and wellies dry

Any suggestions please

Cheers

Leigh

Sponsored Links
Rake out to approx 25-30mm and approx 75-100mm above roof sheets. The lead should cover the sheet by about 150mm and each length of lead should not exceed 1500mm. All in code 4 lead.

150mm(6") is nowhere big enough.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply terrypin

So 1.5 metre is to allow for expansion in the summer? and overlap by 150mm?

Any other alternatives? At the moment the lead cost as much as the porch :( if I go with something like 250-300mm wide but I see your meaning.

cheers

Leigh

There's Icopal Formflash which is lighter than lead and supposedly easier to work with though I have no experience myself so can't comment on that or the cost.

Then there's the dreaded flashband(the Devil's spawn).

Sponsored Links
Any other alternatives? At the moment the lead cost as much as the porch :(
Eh?
Either you are paying an awful lot for your lead or that porch is going to be one heck of a low end 6m² structure.
As said, 300mm code 4 minimum for the abutment. Personally I think you'll struggle to dress the lead down onto a budget corrugated roof sheet.

Any other alternatives? At the moment the lead cost as much as the porch :(
Eh?
Either you are paying an awful lot for your lead or that porch is going to be one heck of a low end 6m² structure.
As said, 300mm code 4 minimum for the abutment. Personally I think you'll struggle to dress the lead down onto a budget corrugated roof sheet.

Well I have 2x4" treated wood for the framework and 1x6" to cover sides and ends etc, 4x4" posts, Like I said its just to cover the back door and keep the recycling bins dry.

300mm x 3m at my local builders merchant is £48 So im guessing 4.0m would be £70 ish

We did look at the square polycarbonate sheets but I was told that by the time we bought that and the joining trims and all the bits it would work out much more expensive than the corrugated stuff, Also the corrugated sheets can be replaced easier also.

Leigh

1. google: corrugated plastic flashings. You fix them exactly the same as lead flashings.

2. Take care of everything above your proposed fragile roof before installing it.

3. Fix into the "bumps"/ridges not down into the troughs. just saying because its been done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back