Covering a cracked ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have removed the lining paper and woodchip paper from the ceiling in the front room of my house.

Most of the ceiling appears to be sound, but there are obvious cracks in the plaster along the plasterboard joins. If you click the thumbnail photos you may be able to see what i mean.

What's the best way to repair this? I really don't want to repaper. I would prefer not to have to get the whole ceiling reskimmed, but if this is the only way then I will bite the bullet and get it done.

Could they be filled with flexible filler and rubbed down? Is the "no cracks" flexible paint any good?

Many thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links
Could they be filled with flexible filler and rubbed down? Is the "no cracks" flexible paint any good?

In a word.......NO!

I would rake the crack out slightly...fill it, rub down so its completly flush witht he ceiling and then stick paper jointing tape over the cracks (soak it first) then using a wide filling knife 'caulk' over it..sand it down until its smooth and then line of put blown vinyl on the ceiling and paint.

polycell basecoat/no more cracked ceilings or whatever its called is good, but it won't mask a crack like that.

i had a similar problem in my current house where a builder had done a botched repair on a ceiling. I raked the crack out and then used polyfilla exterior but left the surrounding plaster about 2mm proud. then i used fine surface polyfilla to bring it level sanded back, applied a coat of basecoat and then the final layer of emulsion.

Its worked for me, but it really depends on how much movement you've got above it.

cut out the cracks, use jointing tape if necessary, fill with easy fill, rub down flush and apply size to ceiling,line the ceiling with 1000 or 1200 grade lining paper = proppa job done!
JL

Sponsored Links
Follow Zampa's advice here - you need to strengthen the cracked areas with the jointing tape then re-paper or line it. If you don't and just fill it, you risk the paper splitting in the same areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back