Covering drains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a suggestion of what is an acceptable way of covering drains. I'm building an extension and need to run a new rainwater drain from the front of the house to join with the existing combined drainage system at the rear. I was planning on running the pipe immediately adjacent to the side wall of the house, but was just looking at approved document H1 (incorporated by reference from H3) and am getting a little confused. My depth is going to need to be less than the 600mm minimum under ground level, otherwise it won't join up to the existing drains, so I guess I need a reinforced concrete cover over gravel, but this leaves me with a couple of questions:

1. the diagram (numbered 11 in the approved document) of the reinforced concrete cover shows a 300mm bearing on the ground on either side of the pipe -- what if I don't have 300mm available? Can I join it to the wall to support it somehow, or is there some other way forward?

2. the diagram refers to "compressible material" and text (paragraph 2.44) refers to a "flexible filler"... are these the same thing, and what would be an appropriate material?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm... adding to the confusion, polypipe's technical guidance (http://www.polypipe.co.uk/cms/toolbox/Technical_Installation_Guide_Above_Below_Ground_Drainage.pdf, page 34) doesn't specify the 300mm bearing -- it just shows a concrete slab directly on top of gravel. Will BC accept that I'm following my pipe manufacturer's recommendations, rather than theirs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back