Extension over drains

Many thanks for the reply - What type of access are you providing for the rodding?

Is yours similar to mine with the extension covering the whole rear of the house and the whole pipe?

Normal practice is for you to concrete over existing manhole and have an inspection chamber outside (that is roddable).

I'm doing the same thing after getting a Thames Water Agreement, they too stated no manhole inside.

Sponsored Links
They all say this, but somehow or other, there are lots of manholes inside properties.

And the water company may well require access one day to clear a blockage in a public sewer - just what you want in the middle of your kitchen!

Many thanks for the reply - What type of access are you providing for the rodding?

Is yours similar to mine with the extension covering the whole rear of the house and the whole pipe?

My extension is covering whole pipe, i'm covering existing manhole and fitting roddable inspection chamber outside the extension linking to old manhole via a long 110mm plastic pipe..

My extension is covering whole pipe, i'm covering existing manhole and fitting roddable inspection chamber outside the extension linking to old manhole via a long 110mm plastic pipe..

Sponsored Links
Be careful! I know somebody who had bad advice from council, architect, builder, and to get the extension signed off had to have an inspection access installed in their new living room.

Maybe speak to independent drainage company - it might be possible to route it around the extension if the fall is sufficient? If not, get all agreements in place before you start dismantling your conservatory!

Be careful! I know somebody who had bad advice from council, architect, builder, and to get the extension signed off had to have an inspection access installed in their new living room.

Certainly don't want that. I have emailed Southern Water to see if I need to apply for a build over agreement or if its covered by the council building surveyor. Hopefully they will let me know! Although its been a few days...!

Maybe speak to independent drainage company - it might be possible to route it around the extension if the fall is sufficient? If not, get all agreements in place before you start dismantling your conservatory!

Sorry to jump on an old thread..
Quick (easy) qu
Am I allowed to fill in a disused drain that takes gutter water from a small section of roof. I have rerouted drainpipe. The drain in question in on a path at side of house. It is only 1.5m from a main inspection cover.
My slight concern is 'gases build up' however there are two in use drains at front of property 3-5m away. Actually if there is a u bend in these drains my comment about gases is irrelevant.
I would fill in with a light breeze block then cement, so that if the drain was ever required in future it would be relatively easy to Re reveal
Does this sound OK?
Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back