Extension and Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on putting a small 10sqm extension on the back of my home. I noticed a manhole cover on the area where we want to build and the mrs is panicking that we won’t be able to build.

The house was only built 15 years ago and the manhole is only half a metre away from the house. I am guessing it’s a private drain inspection cover and a drainage company have said they will reroute the drains and move it(waiting for price) can anyone put a ballpark on it?

Next issue is I think the extension will be within 3 metres of next doors shared drain but according to United Utilities i think I will meet the criteria to just get building controls out. How do we prove that we meet it? Do i need a camera down the drains?

And do they inspect before? During or after the extension is built?

Sponsored Links
First step is to obtain an asset map from your local drainage authority. The map will often indicate location of public sewers, but its not guaranteed.
With some drainage authorities you can download online - otherwise give them a call and ask them to email a map.
The manhole close to your house is most likely private but you have to confirm that and also work out where the line out of your house joins the public sewer?

I wouldn't pay to have the manhole moved at this stage. It can be dealt with during the build once you know what is going on with the drains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back