Covering flakey paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've started decorating our bathroom and come accross a problem with some flakey paint. There were several areas where the paint was flaking and curling so we were just going to scrape these off before we started painting but as we scraped these off we found that we could easily just scrape off more and more paint.

In this picture the yellow paint is the flakey stuff, the gray is plaster and the white is emulsion that we put over some new plastering a while back (this is well stuck on). There were areas where we had put some new emulsion over the old paint and bits of this were flaking off.

This picture shows other areas where the paint had been curling and we'd started to scrape it off.

The bathroom is pretty big and we could spend weeks scraping paint off the walls. We can't just paint over this though because it will just start to flake off again.
I've thought about a plaster skim but surely that would also be a bad idea on top of loose paint.
I don't really want to be wallpapering but I'd thought about backing paper then emulsion. Would I get away with that in a bathroom or could the humidity cause problems with the paper?

Could anyone lend a hand here?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Got a similar problem in the kitchen myself

I think its mainly due to the high humidity (no extractor) and the fact we didnt use the right paint for this type of use

We did put some mist coats on - (watered down paint) but I think in my case as it can get steamy it peals anyway

Im planning to remove what I can - sand down again and then put some mist coats on and then get proper paint for the kitchen

Not sure if this sounds about right to anybody

Any advise would be welcome

Thanks for bumping my post tododo, but your reply's not all that relevant to my problem. I already knew that the existing paint wasn't any good in my bathroom and I've got better paint to go over the top but have found that loads of the old paint is flaking off.
I don't have much time off work left so I'm going with the lining paper unless somebody comes up with a better idea soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back