Covering rear garden with gravel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've bought a new build house and want to cover the rear garden with gravel. Currently the garden is soil with no lawn. The house builder has cleared all the weeds and looks like the soil has been turned over, as its all very loose.

I understand it is a must to add a barrier to prevent weeds, so a membrane will be laid, with the gravel then on top of that. Should the membrane be secured to the ground before the gravel is laid on top, a few pegs perhaps?

But before the membrane is laid, should I do anything about the loose soil, e.g. compact it a bit?

Also what is the recommended depth of gravel to ensure a good even covering?

Any helpful tips appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
use a decent weed fabric such as plantex. lap it by 300mm at all joints. we always peg at the joints and the edges.

depends on the type of gravel you are using as to what depth to get a decent covering. as a rule of thumb i usually go for about 3". You dont need to do anything to teh soil underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back