Covering smoke/tar odour - Zinsser Bin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owner of our house had a wood burner and used to burn all sorts of rubbish, meaning there is a bad tar/smoke smell to the chimney breast. We had the chimney swept and replaced the woodburner with a gas fire, skimmed and painted the room. Initially the smell disappeared however it is now starting to come through again, (particularly when it is very wet or very hot) so assume it is in the fabric of the wall and is therefore coming through the skim layer.

We want to apply a sealant to seal in the odour and I think Zinnser Bin will do the job.

Can anyone advise if this is likely to work?
(I know its likely to be a messy, smelly job.)

Any other suggestions?

Might I get any damp/condensatiom problems? My concern is sealing the wall so that any rain that gets down the chimney can't evaporate away? We have added two airbricks to the outside of the chimney breast to try to help the smell clear (which didn't work) but that should help prevent condensation too shouldn't it?

Any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
BIN should seal it but a bit difficult on large surfaces because it dries so fast, use a roller and work quickly.
It seemed to work for Valspar customers had problems with their paint smelling like cats pee as far as I know BIN was the only thing that worked.

A very long saga!
https://community.screwfix.com/thre...sion-left-house-smelling-of-cat-urine.187433/

Also worth looking at curtains / carpets if they have not been replaced.

Thanks, the Valspar situation sounds like a nightmare! Fingers crossed it ought to work then...

Sponsored Links
I have painted a few room walls with BIN.

I quite like the finish- it's like eggshell but much tougher.I use a radiator roller and make sure that I do not over roll (given how fast it dries).

Brushes and rollers can be cleaned with household ammonia.

The paint can be thinned with isopropyl alcohol but it shouldn't be needed. You can get it tinted to a pastel colour that you like but don't expect the colour match to be particularly accurate. If you are planning to emulsion over it, allow a much longer window before you can apply the second coat of emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back