covering the space between roof beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a house (30's detached) and have had a look at the loft space. When I went up I saw that I could see the underside of the roof tiles. There was no felt or anything. The tiles are the only thing between the outside and inside of the loft. The floor of the loft space has some insulation and I plan to board over it so I can use the sapce for storage. My problem is the roof. There is a lot of dust/cobwebs on the underside of the tiles that I want to clean up. How should I go about it - just brush it off gently? Also, is there anything (like a board etc.) that I can install between the roof beams so that the tiles are not visible and the loft space is less dusty. My neighbour had all his tile removed and then felt put down. He said this his house is not any warmer and it cost him a fortune. Someone else recommended I get the space between the beams insulated with some kind of insulating material that's available in block sheets. What is this stuff and is it any good? As I am only going to store old stuff up in the space could I just fix some sort of boards? I would prefer a material that provides some form of insulation, but having just moved am not overly flush with cash. anyone have any ideas?

much appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Having no felt isnt a problem with a well maintained roof.

Youve a few options, put all the stuff you store in the loft in plastic bags and ignore the fact it will get covered in dust over time.
Or best suggestion ive seen is run some brown paper between the rafters to limit the amount of dust that comes in.
Another option is a breathable membrane (not waterproof!) between rafter internally-you want to see when your roof is leaking.
And of course you can always remove the tiles and lay a felt layer but thats as you said an expensive option.

Insulation isnt a good plan it will trap moisture against the rafters and could cause them to rot.

thanks for the suggestions.

>>Another option is a breathable membrane (not waterproof!) between rafter internally-you want to see when your roof is leaking.

what is a suitable material to use as a breathable membrane?

what about using long polystyrene sheets, or something like that thin card/wood material used for cladding?

also, what would be the best way to attach a material between the wooden beams? should I leave gaps for ventilation, and if so where?

>> brown paper

sounds pretty good. did you mean the type of stuff used for wrapping parcels? I can see how something thin that comes on a roll could be useful, but again, how would I attach it.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
sounds pretty good. did you mean the type of stuff used for wrapping parcels? I can see how something thin that comes on a roll could be useful, but again, how would I attach it.
Yep thats the stuff, cheap comes in fair sized rolls and can be attached with a staple gun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back