Using the loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am interested in using the loft space for more than just storage (i.e. as a den - i.e. not bedroom). The roof is tiled with no felt underlay.

I am told that I could tack plastic sheeting to the rafters, then insulate between the rafters (i.e. on top of the sheeting) to make insulate the loft space - with the gap left between the tiles and the sheeting to allow airflow to prevent condensation... Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
No,you should use insulation slab type between rafter and must have 50mm airflow at the back then sheeting on inside.The rafter need air to breathe.

You have to bear in mind that the ceiling joists are not design for children's to run around in which is usually 4"x2" as you will find a loads of hairline crack on your ceiling depending on your span....

One more thing to think about is, how do you/they get out in event of FIRE. You must also conform to Building Regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back