Covering up new work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am not sure if I am being too fussy about things. This is where I am at

I have to protect he brickwork as much as poss till the mortar has gone off so am protecting using this

Is this too much as I am concerned that the weight of the wind/rain will pull the walls over. I have loads of visqueen left over and could cut pieces to drape over each wall and weigh down with bricks on top.

The tarp has been great keeping things dry through the digging phase but is it now overkill?

Would this be better??

And how long till the brickwork is safe to be in the elements??

thanks,

Graham

Sponsored Links
Scaffold boards, spot boards, strips of polythene will do.

You only need to keep the top course dry and protect from frost.

Your brick and blockwork should rise together with wall ties providing mutual support. Perhaps there are wall ties present but i cant see them. Probably me.

Dont go any higher without raising the blockwork.

Merely draping some kind of cover over the rising wall is sufficient if it's weighed down with bricks. The tarp could pull the work down.
The idea is to protect from frost and rain esp overnight conditions.

AAMOI: your DPC level should run into the main house DPC level at 150mm above ground level.
The patio flags and man-hole cover appear to be too high.

There are one or two other things if you are interested.

Sponsored Links
noseall,

Fair enough. But this guy's concern is the stability of his work, plus i've noticed that DIY'ers do better when both skins more or less rise together - keeps it simple i guess.

Thanks for the replies.

firstly I have a brick layer doing that side of things and he knows what he is doing so am fine with how he is doing it. He did say that he would be putting some blockwork up next .

The damp membrane does indeed extend into the existing house overlapped with the house DPC.

The Patio and manhole cover were raised to be at the slab height of the old conservatory, but a gap was left round the edge so nothing was touching the house above DPC, but good spot !

Ok, the tarp does indeed appear to be overkill, but given that six ish courses went up in one day, is it still just the top couple of courses that need protecting really??

thanks again,

Graham

ps, Dann09 yes all comments welcome if you have any more, but don't scare me lol

Will pass that on to my builder friend. Building control has not specified this??

I have noticed that the tarp has knocked two bricks off the top course at the window reveals, so have changed to this which seems to be holding up under the wind and rain.

All comments welcome.

Graham

Looks better now.
Ties every block at the jambs is nothing new. Even when bricks were used inside it was every 4 at the jambs as they are weak spots.

Will get them in now then if it is common practice. Only missed one block so not a tragedy.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back