Covering up wood burning stove flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am intending to install a wood burning stove in my lounge which has no existing fireplace or chimney (with building inspection approval etc) but I'd like to cover up the flue as best as possible.

To do this I was intending to build a stud wall around the flue extending to the lounge ceiling. The flue will exit through the external wall somewhere between the stove and ceiling.

Clearly, suitable gaps will need to be maintained between the flue and combustible materials, but my nagging doubt is how hot things might get in the region inside the top of the stud wall with warm air rising from the flue and stove.

I hope to be able to keep the front of the wall as close to the existing wall as possible to minimise impact on the room it's in and hopefully reduce the effect I've mentioned above whilst respecting combustible distances.

My question to you knowledgeable people is have you seen this kind of installation before, or do you know of a reason it should not be done?

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement to ventilate the stud wall, however you must provide inspection access points measuring 300mm × 300mm at specific points along its length, and of course all combustible materials must clear the flue by the amount required by its manufacturer (normally, but not always, 50mm)

It is highly recommended that you engage an HETAS-qualified engineer to carry out the work for you, however if you are intending to do it yourself you should first make yourself completely familiar with the relevant Building Regulations, paying particular attention to Approved Document J but with reference also to AD.A, AD.B, AD.L and of course the relevant British Standards. Work should be notified to Building Control before you start, and they will be able to advise you on what they expect in order for the work to be signed off at the end. They will expect to do more than one visit, and will charge you handsomely for it. Failure to get it correctly signed off will almost certainly invalidate your home insurance in the event of fire, and will see you in jail fairly quickly should anyone be injured by the appliance in any way.

Have you chosen your appliance yet? As you have no existing hearth, you'll need to ensure that you either build one (see AD.J for guidance) or buy a stove that does not require one (generally a more expensive stove)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back