Covering window trims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Quick question. Is there a nice way to cover plastic window trims/cloaking profiles? Similar to how you might overboard an old window sill with a upvc facia board?

I’d always assumed window trims were hollow and I could stick newer, slightly bigger ones over the top of the current ones (increasing their depth by a mil or two). But the one’s I’ve seen so far are foam filled so I can’t. :(

New house and the current trims aren’t in good nick - they’ve gone yellow and look a mess. I planned on just pulling them off and replacing but they’re well and truly stuck down - some have even been nailed down ffs. I got one window sorted over the weekend but it took ages and caused a fair bit of collateral damage.

Any suggestions appreciated?

Cheers,

Tegs

Sponsored Links
For the best finish pull off the trims, Fit a new window board and plaster in the top/sides then decorate.
For a less messy job you could:
A: rip off the trims and replace with new ones.
B: rip off the trims, Fit some thin MDF to the full width of the plaster reveals (top and sides) then finish off the front edges with a decorative architrave the paint them.

Yep, I went to a local plastics company yesterday and was told what I want doesn't exist :)

Gap in the market there I think.

Anyway, I just ripped the trims off and got bigger ones to replace them, hiding any damage caused when jemmying. Took all day but looks perfect now.

Cheers for the reply - much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back