Coving / cornice repair

JDR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly - my first post on here, but been a visiter to the forum for a while - what a great resource it is - general thanks to all for guidance and advice picked up along the way while reading other threads.

Some adivce is wanted on repairing a section of coving on the outer corner of the chimney breast - damaged due to the previous occupier routing a gas pipe up through it - as you do to original 1920's coving.

The damaged section is only 20 - 30cm but around the corner - can anyone suggest a way of making a mould of a"good" section to be able to patch in. I have looked for an off-the-shelf section to match in and can't find one.

It is a relatively simple ridged design, 170mm x 70mm depth max dimensions.

If this makes sense I was thinking of cutting a series of profiles from hardboard or similar to make a guide for the mould - then making the mould from plaster or even papier mache - let this set then form a box around it and then make make the coving itself - using plaster or preferably something lighter - any suggestions? The idea would be to make a couple of straight sections then mitre to form the corner.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ps - What is the difference between cornice and coving?

Sponsored Links
Small bits like that I would knock up some one coat plaster, apply roughly oversize, wait an hour or so till it starts to set then carefully hand sculpt with scraper, putty knife, trowl and a strait edge to blend with old lines etc... The plaster should work easily if you keep wetting it. I use polyfilla to finish of any bits I'm not happy with and, to get a real smooth finish to blend.. Tedious but there you are ...
Cove is just the normal curve... cornice is the fancy stuff... I think...lol..
Good luck...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back