Damaged Coving Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The coving in my bedroom was damaged due to a leaking roof some years ago. It is now looking really bad and needs replacing.

I think it is 4 inches (10 cm). Ideally about a nine inch section needs cutting away and replaced. I am useless when it comes to cutting mitres for coving plus it's location above our fitted wardrobesmakes it difficult to get into. The wall down the side of the wardrobe has also been affected but will have to stay as is until we dismantle and move the wardrobes at some time.

Can I buy a pre-prepared section so that I can just cut out the old and do a straight replacement.

It is such a small job that I don't think a local trader would be interested or if they were then the cost would dispropotional to the repair needed but if there is a tradesman in the Colchester, Essex area that would be prepared to do such a small job, could they message me with a price (cash of course)??

coving.JPG

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with all that. I would simply use a stanley knife to trim that bottom edge square, and use some white filler or plaster of paris to fill that dodgy mitre and sculpt it until it looks nice. Even traditional coving installers don't bother with perfect mitres (rooms aren't square anyway so it's basically impossible) just fill and sculpt.

Thanks for the reply. I had tried to fill in the right edge as seen in the photo before but didn't make too good a job. I didn't try to clean up the edge etc before hand.

I will give it another go as it seems a sensible idea to follow. Will make sure I have a sharp stanley knife and a good filler. I have found Bartoline Ready To Use All Purpose Filler from Homebase good to work with as it seems to have plasticy type of consistency and spreads well.

If you use ordinary filler, coving always takes several goes to get right, as it not only shrinks, but it's difficult to fill smoothly having both a swept face, and a flat underside, and you're then rubbing it down as you go. Give it a couple more goes, and like any sculpting, it'll eventually get to where you're happy with it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks comments noted. How do I measure what size coving I need when it's in situ. I think from looking it about 100mm(4 inch). Also whats the best tool to use to shape the corner or would it be best to cut back from the right hand internal corner and fit a new internal corner piece using an internal corner pack. Didn't realise that the right hand side had dropped slightly and not sure I will be able to get the topline level.

Think I will also try and rub down down some of the flaky wall emulsion above the wardrobe and repaint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back