Coving has horizontal crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have Gyproc coving (larger format)
Its been in place for over 15 years .... it was fitted as per specification with correct adhesive.
On one room the length has a horizontal crack ... i.e along the joint line with the ceiling.
Still good on the vertical face so not come away.

I assume I will scrape out the crack & widen it slightly, and then fill .... what would be the best filler to use ..... need it to re-affix to the ceiling board, not just fill.

Seen this stuff https://tinyurl.com/27w9fb88
Do you know of better ?

Sponsored Links
That stuff might do very nicely.

Is the coving loose?

If it is, you may wish to consider fixing it up with a few screws. No point screwing straight into plasterboard, it won't hold properly - you need wall plugs or similar, or screw into the wooden joists IF there are any.

There is no plasterboard …. Didn’t use any in the house.
I used Fermacell throughout … you can screw straight into it.
It’s not loose …so right adhesive should be enough.

If it is secure, decorators caulk will fill the gaps, but it does sound like the coving is not making good contact to the ceiling.

Screws would ensure the coving will stay there, but you yourself will know if the coving will stay put or not.

Sponsored Links
I fill joints all the time. The trick is to seal the joints at time of cutting and apply cove adhesive at time of fitting so it oozes out. Let it sit for 10mins to firm up and shape.

People don't seal or apply adhesive bonding to the joint, so it only gets a thin skim over causing it to crack.

To fix I use my multi tool to open joint. Seal with Pva or i prefer gardz. Fill with toupret or similar powder filler. Working in joint. Takes two goes.
Sand
Prime with acrylic primer or gardz
Paint.
Cracks or lose cove I normally pull down and prime wall and ceiling and fit new. Other way is multi tool along, seal. Fill. Easier to replace imo.
Caulk is never a long term fix so I don't use.
Unfortunately many used artex to stick cove and it's not strong enough. That never sealed that walls and ceiling which also caused the cove to crack.

I’ll rake out, pop a few screws in place, and fill with an adhesive/filler …. Def not caulk.

Pva it.. Can use wood glue with water as that's pva

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back