Coving help - may be impossible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok here's the story we had some sort of pipe from the boiler that had to come through the ceiling down to the kitchen cupboard and this went straight through the coving. So I am trying to patch up around it so the best thing I can think of doing is to box in and then add coving to this but the only problem is how to I get the coving to meet the old coving because I don't want to remove the old coving if possible as its only very recently been decorated.

Can this actually be done or is it impossible? Because it would mean like cutting the coving angle to fit into the concave of the old.

Thanks in advance hope someone can help?

Sponsored Links
Pictures are a great help for something like this.

Anything is possible, depends how much effort and/or cash you want to put into the job.

Sounds as if you are going to put a vertical boxing (cutting through the cornice) down to your cupboard. So you'll need to mitre the existing cornice where it meets your new boxing then fit 2 or 3 pieces of cornice to your boxing (mitres again). Fiddly but doable and may not look right.

Worth checking (stud finder or similar) that your electrician hasn't hidden any cables in the cornice

Is it gyproc or plaster? Shouldn't be too hard to cut gyproc to a mitre with a stanley knife or chisel. Otherwise maybe you can get a piece of coving to fill in the cut-out piece, so the coving runs straight across the pipe?
unspecified.jpg

As Above ^^^
By the time you have boxed in the pipework this would be the face of the boxwork would have to be raised above the coving to look reasonable so you can work out the joins or fill gaps in with filler and rub down.

Sponsored Links
Is it gyproc or plaster? Shouldn't be too hard to cut gyproc to a mitre with a stanley knife or chisel. Otherwise maybe you can get a piece of coving to fill in the cut-out piece, so the coving runs straight across the pipe?
unspecified.jpg
that's exactly how it is , but not as neat a job as that one other wise it would be ok, I'll get a photo today when I go back to my mums today to have another go. thanks for the reply, the trouble I had was knowing where to start with the cutting and shaping to fit the existing. Thanks for the reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back