Coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to have coving put up and never done it before. Just average coving, nothing fancy. Walls are freshly skimmed and dried out.

I was going to put an add on to rated people to get someone in - basically it is 5 average size rooms and the place is empty, no furniture to move etc.

Could I expect this to be done in a day or is it a two day job. What trades-person should I ask for?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Coving is yesterday's fashion. Better without it.

Funny thing with coving, it doesn't really come under decorating but plenty of decorators, and plasterers, do coving. Looks like a days work, I used to put up 100 metres of five inch gyproc in an eight hour day on sites in empty houses, not much demand for coving these days though, I'm doing less and less as the years pass and new builds aren't bothering with it any more so it seems.

Hi

I need to have coving put up and never done it before. Just average coving, nothing fancy. Walls are freshly skimmed and dried out.

I was going to put an add on to rated people to get someone in - basically it is 5 average size rooms and the place is empty, no furniture to move etc.

Could I expect this to be done in a day or is it a two day job. What trades-person should I ask for?

Many thanks

Hi Terry,

Which part of London are you in. I can recommend someone that I use. I have no idea how long it would take, although I have done a few rooms I would have been far slower than someone that does it day in day out.

Skills wise- most compitent tradesmen can do it; some plasterers will, some wont.

Sponsored Links
Rated people is full of caravan dwellers.

Coving is yesterday's fashion. Better without it.

I wish I had of thought of that before - just had all rooms skimmed but told plasterers I was having coving put up so they didn't leave perfect edges!

You live and learn!!

Hi

Many thanks

Hi Terry,

Which part of London are you in. I can recommend someone that I use. I have no idea how long it would take, although I have done a few rooms I would have been far slower than someone that does it day in day out.

Skills wise- most compitent tradesmen can do it; some plasterers will, some wont.

I'm SE London/Kent - about 6 miles in from Dartford.

Hi

Many thanks
Sorry, I'm west London. I doubt anyone i know would be willing to travel so far for a job that size. You might find recommendations in the plastering section
Hi Terry,

I'm SE London/Kent - about 6 miles in from Dartford.

Dont let any one put you off if you want coving - put it up. Yes it has gone out of fashion but only because builders are cutting costs to try and make cheeper houses. There was a time not 5 years ago that houses were being advertised as having coving as a bonous. It will come back.
I ahve put up plenty as a diyer and I have found that the corners will never "mate up" and you will need to do some kinfing out of the back of the mitre and then filling with your finger down the join.
Straight along the length joins will always be seen no matter how much you fill and sand. Wall to ceiling will never be straight nor corners 90 degrees.
Any gaps betwix the coving wall or ceiling just fill with the adheasive.
You will worry it looks rubbish
Then sand ---and again.
Then paint
You will see the joins
No one else will.
Stand back
Say
I did that, it was a pain.

Get enough for 1 room to start with and take a day on the 1 room.
Then the next two rooms will take you a day
then the next 3 rooms will thak you half a day...............

Less than 5% of the houses that I have worked in have no cornices at all.

I agree that the lack of them is dictated by cost rather fashion.

No it's not. A house with coving is like pants with flairs - awful.

Clean square lines is the way to go. Why have an 80s house when you don't have to?

No it's not. A house with coving is like pants with flairs - awful.

Clean square lines is the way to go. Why have an 80s house when you don't have to?

Admittedly I am referring to the oranate stuff rather than the standard gyproc giving but if that's what people want...

a Victorian/Edwardian house just looks odd without them.

One thing about fashion that you can be sure of is that things go in and out of fashion, then back in and back out... And so on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back