Help asap please - not happy with coving job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We've got a plasterer in today putting up coving in three rooms (3x3.5m) and at top of stairs (1m x 2.5m) and I've just been round to check in and make a coffee and he's nearly finished already. So will have done all that in just over 6 hours. The joints and corners look good, but where the edge of the coving meets the wall and ceiling, in some places there's a layer of coving adhesive, meaning that the edges are further away from the wall/ceiling in some places than others. - ie. looks like the 0.5mm or whatever edge that is on the coving is 1cm thick in places.

Imagine this won't be much of a problem the ceiling side as both will be painted white, but where the edge meets the wall I thinnk it's going to show.

The house was built in 1895 but has recently been replastered by the same guy. Walls aren't completely even, but not too bad either. We did one room ourselves as beginners and managed to get the coving to sit against the wall and ceiling so the edge you see is just the thickness of the edge of the coving all the way around, so feeling annoyed that the professional hasn't acheived the same results.

Don't know what to do because he's pretty much finished the job now, and I know the adhesive dries quickly and can't be re-done.

Does anyone agree that this is unacceptable, or is this common practice and I'm just being a perfectionist?

Sponsored Links
I dare say my boy and me would`ve done a better job - but sometimes the walls run out a lot - you`re better off with gaps on the wall member than the ceiling - East Sussex is where we are ;)

Would be good to see some pics.
By the times its painted it might not look to bad!

If the walls are not very even, coving can pull back away from the wall at the pressure points, but how bumpy are the walls!!!

I have to say that I pin my coving tight to the wall with nails until the adhesive has dried and if it has sprung away from the walls it is now too late to put it right. I pull out the nails and fill before painting.

The only way to put this right now is too pull it all down, clean up, then re-do again with new coving.
Unless it truly looks bad when you have finished painting, you will have to ask yourself, how often do you look up and stare at coving when you walk in the room !!!! just a thought.

Give him an opportunity to explain, or don't use him again.

It will bug you for a while so only change it if you hate it.

Sponsored Links
Coving looks awful - like artex it should be ditched.
However, if you must, and your walls are out then that is your problem not his.
Wavy coving following along wonky walls looks dreadful.
You should have told him at the plastering stage that you wanted the walls flattening as you were fitting coving. Too late now. How much is he charging for labour?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back