Coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know of an easy way to remove coving? I'm overboarding ceilings due to holes where spots use to be and an awful thick wallpaper. Due to having to plaster it and patch up the holes we've decided to batten, insulate and overboard. So I was trying to reuse the coving but I've quickly realised that is never going to happen. Surely their has to be an easier way than to hammer and chisel in and break parts off a bit at a time?

Sponsored Links
post photos please.
what kind of coving is it - thers all kinds of materials used for coving.

easy way is to leave coving alone an overboard up to a line 10mm from the coving.
this makes a shadow line feature out of the coving.

Il upload some pics tomorrow. We are soundproofing the party wall as well so the coving needs to come off. I've tried with a hammer and chisel and scraper and it's just damaging the coving but it's still stuck on really well!

Sponsored Links
I use an oscillating saw. Mind you if the coving is just plain old C profile coving then I would bin it and buy more.

Is an oscillating saw a multitool? It's going to have to be binned I reckon. It's just going to crumble and break

Is an oscillating saw a multitool? It's going to have to be binned I reckon. It's just going to crumble and break

Yes a multitool is an oscillating saw.

I used one a couple of months ago to remove the coving and adhesive prior to the ceilings being overboarded. A hammer and chisel would have been faster but I wanted to minimise the mess and reduce the risk of damaging the wall plaster. I held a dust extractor hose as I was cutting through the adhesive to collect the dust.

Hammer and chisel faster? It's taking me forever with a hammer and chisel. I was hoping the multi tool method would be a lot quicker!

still no photos?
still dont now what material the coves made from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back