Cowboy didn't powerflush!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, firstly can I say what a great site and forum this is, so many answers for the common man who wouldn't know where to go otherwise!!

Basically my prob is that I had a Valliant and some Rads fitted through Warmfront, the govt scheme..They were great but, usual story, sub-contractors are lying low-lives..

They installed boiler and rads but didn't do a powerflush even though they said they did and ticked the box on the paperwork and left in the summer..2 months odd later as it gets colder I had 2 more rads added, brand new prorad, by gasSafe fitter, and he discovers the water is black as tar! Also, we discovered one of the previously installed rads only gets lukewarm at best and even then is "warm" at top and cold at bottom.

MY fitter says that means there is sludge n crap in system and they havent powerflushed, somethnig pretty much confirmed by you guys here too (various posts)

The warmfront contractor when contacted basically tells me to get stuffed as I had subsequent work done so he doesnt want to hear from me, and claims he did powerflush! ..I contact the cover company from warmfront who send an engineer and confirm that no powerflush has been done but say strictly speaking they didnt have too, its not a req..

I can't understand that though as surely that invalidates boiler waranty, so how can he be allowed to fit contrary to manfacturer spec?

Can someone help with the above, is that legal, allowed or whatever?

Also, can I take him to court as the paperwork I have says he did, yet I have engineer report saying there hasn't been one, and also from the reality if he HAD done one, how could there be sludge three months on, so he's clearly lied?

Sponsored Links
all new boilers fitted, must be fitted to a system that is clean, as defined by

BS 7593:2006

if they didnt powerflush, or at best, chemically clean, then they have breached a working practise, that basically assures them of getting the work in the first place

you could ask your boiler manufacturer to send you 2 water sample bottles

the first you fill with system water, the second with your mains cold water,

they will analyse and send you details

contact Warmfront, and the installer of your actions, and wait for the outcome ;)

Vaillant warrenty covers non powerflushed systems,one of the only manufacturers to do so.

PF is not a requirement,hot and cold flush or good chemical flushing is in my opinion far more succesfull.

Unless water samples are taken and results issued at the end of the job,i'm affraid having had works carried out by another you wont stand much chance

I think going the legal route would be long, painful and maybe pointless. Just drain system, inject the proper chemicals and run the system for the recommended time then flush clean refill and inhibit. I doubt any longterm damage has been done......i sympathise but i think it best you look to remedy via other means

Sponsored Links
you could try magnacleans sampling stick, this'll tell you that you either need 1 of 3 options. 1 a magnaclean,2 a magnaclean or 3 a magnaclean.

cheap gimmicks. :evil:

I would have to agree with igs , hot & cold flush or good chemical flushing is in most cases all that is required , i have installed boilers on a system that I doubt could be power flushed succesfully , without major alterations ,that was 4 yrs ago still waiting for the predictions of boiler failure made by others to occur .

sounds like they filled it .turned it on & left all the flux,swarf,in system.whith no inhibiter :evil:
water sample for evidence off them not complying to british standards.

sounds like it needs a powerflush now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back