cr smith or thistle windows which is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone from north east of scotland or near this area and got windows in lately?If so i dont know who to use thistle windows or cr smith who do you recommend,cant seem to find any reviews about the two companys and cant make up my mind which one to pick,one says the other is no good but sales guys will say this anyway,i need to know from customers who have had things done by the two above or at laest one of them.

Sponsored Links
Why not ask both companies for customer references & to see examples of their work.

Used CR Smith last year. They had a 'special offer' at the time which made their prices well below that of the smaller outfits.

Nice enough rep (didn't slate other firms!). Good windows and their fitters did the job nicely too...

One thing I can tell you is that we just has windows fitted by Thistle, the fitters made a mess and not just around the window frames either. "unaceptable" was there own installation managers comment. One other thing I should mention is do not sign anything until completely clear. ie. size of windows, space for blinds etc. do not taken any verbal assurances.

Sponsored Links
This thread is 3 years old FFS; welcome to the forum but PLEASE READ the date of the last post befeore replying. :rolleyes:

I'm amazed how often new members troll back to the stone age to respond. :eek:

I know the post is a few years old (Sorry for resurrecting the post again) but it's coming up on google as the first link for 'Thistle windows review' so thought it would be the best place to sum up my experience with them.
Being a local company i thought i would get a great service but how wrong could I be!
Doors had to be reset after they were installed as they would not close properly. With both of these daylight could be seen where the door should have made contact with the frame, when closed. A massive percentage of glass panes required replacing due to breakages, wrong size, scratches, bubbles in glass (their inspection of windows seemed very poor). They also left the flooring etc untidy on leaving.
The worst part was their repair/servicing. It took approx 1/4 year for fixes to be made and completed which is laughable! I would love to say i'm exagerating but sorry I can't!

Over the last couple of years their install quality has gone downhill after speaking to a lot of people. Looks like they are trying to do too much with people not fully trained in installs etc.

I'm worried now, I am getting the survey for my windows done on Monday and they are getting fitted in April.

Can I hold back some of the payment till I am completly happy?

You should have a signed contract stating terms of payment. At most you should only have paid a maximum 20% deposit (hopefully 10%) until they are fitted & then only pay the ballance when you are completely satisfied with the installation.

I havent had to put a deposit down. But I was told I had to pay in full before the sills are finished and painted.

Are they really this bad? I am getting quite a bit of work done.....

Apologies if i'm wrong but i smell a rat, how do we know you don't work for thistle and are just bigging yourselves up after taking a hammering, 2 new members both stating the same within 3 hrs of each other ;)

did you take one of the richard? who offered you the better price? Im just starting to explore web for possibilities, I found a local provider with prices online, suprisingly. www.doubleglazingontheweb.co.uk Would like to compare quotes.

Where those post go from the 2 new members, was i right.....did i smell a rat? :confused:

Infact theres more than those 2 deleted, very strange!

Yes very strange indeed. My post about our unfortunate experience with Thistle Windows seems to have been removed. I would never recommend them.

Anyone from north east of scotland or near this area and got windows in lately?If so i dont know who to use thistle windows or cr smith who do you recommend,cant seem to find any reviews about the two companys and cant make up my mind which one to pick,one says the other is no good but sales guys will say this anyway,i need to know from customers who have had things done by the two above or at laest one of them.

watever u do..dont use cr smith...they fitted a conservatory at my house 4 years ago..we had tons of woodlich on the food...water pouring in at the corners in the winter...and lead flashing not fitted correctly

they have never attempted to try and repair or even view the problems...now the warenty has run out and now the telesales arseholes are phoning..its unreal

cr smith have been goin round all the review sites removing my commnets...even though they are 100% true...were is the justice in that? cant even be honest on reviews and have them stay online

Where those post go from the 2 new members, was i right.....did i smell a rat? :confused:

Infact theres more than those 2 deleted, very strange!

ive had 3-4 removed from different review site...aparently your only allowed to give good reviews..and not honoest review.....i,ll keep fightin...i have more emails address than them.lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back