Crack Above Door Spells Disaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Having just had a mortgage valuation survey on our property my wife is now a nervous wreck and needs someone with a little more know how than me to pacify her! So please help. There is a crack above the patio door that follows the mortar only (i.e. no cracked bricks) and goes up at an angle from either end to form a triangle, the crack is no more than 3mm wide at it's widest point and has been there unchanged for at least 15 years when her ex replaced the existing door for a patio sliding door. The suryevor was looking at it but on leaving our house said he 'couldn't see any problems with regard to the survey' I think that this is a touch of lintel failure, my wife thinks that this could cause a problem with the sale, I don't, any comments and reassurance welcome! Do you think this is going to cost a packet or does it even require attention? I'm not after a quote moderators! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Hi weirdfish
Put yourself in a buyers position, they will assume the worst and try to get a reduction in the price. A surveyor will try not commit themselves and try and justify their costs, by getting a reduction.
If you are sure there is a properly fitted lintel, then it just needs re-pointing properly, but might stick out like a sore thumb for a couple of years.
Has anyone else any re-assurances
regards
pj

First,

If the crack has been there unchanged for 15 years tell your wife to "calm down" the house aint gonna fall down.

Second,

Wait for the suryevor to put his report in, no need to worry until you see something on paper.

Third,

If the report shows repair work is required then just bite the bullet and get it done quickly, it will be nothing comparred to the value of the house.

Forth,

If the report is ok, expect buyers to haggle the price on the cracked wall. In truth we would all look for something to haggle about, again, bite the bullet, get the best price you can and put it down to experience.

DONT argue the toss over a couple of grand, it will cost you more than that in the long run (i know from bitter experience).

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys! As I thought but my wife doesn't have enough faith in me! You're right Aqua about the price especially as I am keen to get my hands on the house we're after. Thanks, both of you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back