Crack around inside door (Front door)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a 22 year old flat (maisonette) 6 months ago (top floor) and have noticed a crack all around the front door, on the inside. There are no cracks on the outside. I came over to see the flat about 4 times before the sale was completed and no one has noticed the crack which I guess they cleverly hidden for the sale. In the beginning, everyone said there's nothing to worry about as it's just something simple to fix, but I've done nothing about it yet and noticed the crack got much bigger and what scared me the most was that I spent 5 days away for Xmas and when I got back I had to force the door open to get in... Can anyone tell just by looking at the pic if it's something quite simple to fix. And how much it'd cost if I got a professional to come around and fix it. It's just so I have an idea and know he's not overcharging me. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could be that the door has swollen due to weather conditions and is binding on the frame. If so, slamming and forcing the door open/shut could have loosened the jamb and cracked the plaster with it.

Does that part of the frame move/wobble at all?

Difficult to advise on repair cost until certain of the problem but if that is the cause, it may just mean a few new fixings in the frame, possibly shaving the door a little and knocking off/making good the plaster. Half a days work - painting afterwards.

you might need to hack off a patch of broken plaster (around 8'' long) and check how frame fixing looks like- if you can show pic of that plus extra picture of the frame from external side of the door will be easier to investigate
Salute
MINDEX

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back