Crack in corner of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We have a crack in the corner of our lounge, the crack appeared about 3 years ago after we had new oak flooring installed. To install the floor we removed all the old floor boards and the placed insulation between the joists and reinstalled new solid oak tongue and groove boards.
The crack appeared about 4 months after the work was complete and didn't seem to get any worse until I noticed yesterday is seemed bigger.
I had taken photos back in Aug '18 and looked back at them and it had become larger.
I have attached the pictures from 2018 and last night so you can see the difference.
Can anyone please advise what this could be, the floor below seems solid but there is also a crack that runs horizontally along the wall.
I hope someone can advise. Thank you

Attachments

• Wall 2018.jpg
    Wall 2018.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Wall 2021.jpg
    Wall 2021.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
I wonder - was the floor installed with an appropriate expansion gap all round?

Timber expanding due to changes in humidity has considerable power - so much so that an old method of rock splitting is using dry wooden wedges that are then soaked in water so they expand http://www.dartmoorcam.co.uk/CAM/SplittingGranite.htm

so it's possible this could cause your crack - i've never seen it, but can imagine it is possible.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, this does make sense as there are no cracks on the outside wall.
We will remove the skirting and check to see if there is an expansion gap and add one if there isn't.
Thank you again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back