Settlement Cracks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I had a double storey extension nearly 4 years ago and in the past 12 months have noticed cracks appearing in the corners of the walls joining the old with the new. They're not horrific, a mm or so if that but certainly more than a hairline crack.

Today I've noticed that the wood floor in the hall (main house) is bowing upwards and there's a new thinner crack running horizontally a few feet up from the floor.

I've been decorating like a maniac this past few years and am loathe to finish it off if there's a big problem!

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It looks like typical movement of the new extension, and nothing out of the ordinary

Sponsored Links
The cracks seem to be the same width all the way up, which suggests the expected shrinkage rather than uneven settlement, If the inner skin is built of aerated concrete block (celcon or similar) they are known for shrinkage and will almost inevitably produce vertical cracks.

(The joint between the old and new brickwork doesn't look very tidy).

Thanks for the replies. Will sleep easy tonight knowing that the house shouldn't fall down anytime soon :D

Quick - grow something over that brickwork - I assume it`s not meant to match the existing , but complement it in some way :confused: . Strange about the floor bowing UP - is it chipboard , does it creak when walked on ?

the floor bowing up sounds like lack of or inadequate expansion joints around the perimeter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back