Crack in interior & exterior of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a room skimmed and the plaster has a large crack running down it already. There is also a crack on the exterior side of the wall. This is where the extension is tied into the original building. Im concerned that there is too much movement, however, the extension was built pre 1983 and so I'm not sure on the best course of action. Any advice greatly appreciated??

Sponsored Links
Put something like this http://www.avongard.co.uk/ on the out side crack to see how much it's still moving.
It has been built a long while and shouldn't be still settling, you need to find out why it's still moving

How about some pics of the interior and the exterior?

There's no need for an expensive crack tell-tale.

Differential settlement or thermal expansion are often the causes of cracks at the extension join. Typically, no big deal but i cant see the actual cracks.

Can you tell us about the appearance of the crack.

Is it following the course of the mortar joints i.e. zig-zag up the building?
or is it a straight line crack - right through the brickwork :eek:

Sponsored Links
It runs ceiling to floor - inside and ground to soffit boards outside - not quite vertical but close to it.
The outside has obviously been filled with cement and I had the interior taped and skimmed but has since cracked again.
The exterior seems no worse than it was 2 years ago (extension was built pre 1983).
I have tried to attach pics but without success for some reason.

The pics have suddenly appeared - on my pc, anyhow. Thank you for posting them.

But they are almost useless unless you post pics showing a larger context.

Pic shows internal crack in the plaster - top of photo is the ceiling and bottom is around 6 inches from the floor. I'll also get an external crack pic uploaded.

I'm looking for pics of the whole area where the extension joins meets - inside and outside.

ban all sheds user name has simple instructions for posting pics the right way up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back