Crack inside house from top to bottom (and a bowed wall!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fixing up and old house (1800 and something!)

After taking off wallpaper upstairs I noticed a crack from the top of the room to the bottom. I went downstairs and removed wallpaper there and discovered the same crack continuing down the wall and through the chimney breast.

I've also now noticed the wall next to this one is bowing.

Should I be concerned?

I have attached 3 images.

White wall is upstairs showing crack going down.
Other fireplace is directly underneath the other room showing the crack continuing.
The bowed wall can be seen on the alcove image. It measure 3" more across the top of the alcove than the bottom.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 394
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 510
Sponsored Links
Is that wall an outside wall? Why not take pics of the other side of the wall at both floor levels?
In the c/breast recess, why not remove the plaster back to brick and photo?
Have you looked up in the loft for any unusual signs?

There seems to be a number of condensation signs (dark patches) on your walls - or is it merely some wallpaper issue etc?

Sponsored Links
The upstairs backs onto an outside wall, but downstairs is built on to my neighbours garage so I cant see. Due to the position of the house however, I can't see the upstairs wall from outside. Very frustrating.

The house has had lots of black mould, that i've been told is condensation.

The house sat empty for a year before I bought it. Do you think it's something and nothing?

The upstairs wall does not bow, just the downstairs which is odd as it's the same wall.

It's nothing. A thermal crack from previous contraction.

You have small fingers.

Due to the position of the house however, I can't see the upstairs wall from outside. Very frustrating.

In the past I've used a cheap bullet cam on a 5 metre glass fibre tent pile to good effect. Takes a bit skill to drive it wibble wobble but....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back