Crack near bay window

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be grateful for any advice about the possible cause of this crack near the bedroom ceiling, which is becoming wider.
It is above a bay window, so I suspect possible movement in the ground outside. However, there are no visible cracks in the wall outside. I'd value some advice before we pay for a structural engineer. Thank you.
Left.jpg
Middle.jpg
Right.jpg

Sponsored Links
The cracks are near the Bressumer beam or start at the beam. Check the level of the beam with a 1200mm spirit level.
Any previous history of damp penetration in that area?
Why not post pics of the bay roof abutment at the main house wall?
And pics of the external bay full height and at ground level?

The cracks are near the Bressumer beam or start at the beam. Check the level of the beam with a 1200mm spirit level.
Any previous history of damp penetration in that area?
Why not post pics of the bay roof abutment at the main house wall?
And pics of the external bay full height and at ground level?
Thanks for your advice. We did have the window frames replaced recently as they were rotten, so it could well be a wood beam rotting and failing to support the wall above. Actually, it's a bungalow, so no rooms above, but there is a gable end in brick at loft level. We'll get in a structural engineer to advise and, if necessary, have the beam replaced.
Sounds like it could be expensive!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back