crack on the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone please tell me whether this crack is serious? we bought this 4 bed room semi a few months ago. originally, it was a 3 bedroom semi, the previous owner (before the vendor we bought from) added a kitchen extension and a double bedroom above garage. I firstly spotted a crack in the kitchen wall (I think it is the joint between the main house and kitchen extension). A structural engineering said it is nothing to worry about, a plaster facial repair will be enough. later on, I noticed the crack in the same area but below the cupboard, which seems the same crack from the top but hidden by the cupboard. In order to have a better view, I cut the back cover open to expose the crack in the below picture. the crack seems extended below the kitchen work top around 10-15cm.

Sponsored Links
the engineering only looked at the top crack above the kitchen cupboard. as he and i both haven't spotted crack below the cupboard and behind too.

When he checked the top crack till the top edge of the cupboard, he said it is nothing to be worried.

When you bought the house, did you get a discount for the colour scheme of the cuboard?

Sponsored Links
When you bought the house, did you get a discount for the colour scheme of the cuboard?

spot on, we actually don't like the colour at all, and are thinking to resurfacing them. but, we'd better to sort out the crack first. otherwise, if a major repair is needed, it would be a hell of mess.

It's one crack and the engineer would know that it would go down to the floor. It is common

It's one crack and the engineer would know that it would go down to the floor. It is common

i hope so. i emailed the pictures to the engineer too and hopefully he could provide me with some good news. at the moment, i am hoping to have more info possible.

Maybe just normal shrinkage of the extension away from the house, particularly if it has an inner skin of lightweight block.

Maybe just normal shrinkage of the extension away from the house, particularly if it has an inner skin of lightweight block.

thanks for the info! i just hope it is not serious as i don't want my child to live in an unsafe house. :oops:

the structural engineer gave the repair instruction - 1.0m long 4.0m diameter helibars bye helifix at 225mm vertical centres

anybody knows how much it would cost roughly? thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back