Cracks in walls with pics attached

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to put an offer on a 1930s 3 bed semi, but have some concerns about some of the cracks in the ceiling. Each room has long hairline cracks, but the bedroom 3 at the rear right corner of the house has lots of obvious cracks around the room and especially what appears to be a column. See pics.

A shot of the rear seems to look like a crack running from the bottom left of the window in the same room. The room below has water leaking into a bucket below and im wondering if the water is leaking through the crack and down into the ceiling. View media item 15725 View media item 15726 View media item 15727

Sponsored Links
I had similar cracks in the ceiling & walls of my upstairs rooms and posted some photos of one of the walls on here a couple of years ago. The replies suggested that the wall cracks were superficial so I chopped out a couple of inches either side of them and re-plastered. They've not reappeared to date.

Looking at your photo's though it appears to me that the cracks are in the ceiling plasterboard which is probably just fastened to joists and not part of anything structural anyway.

Regarding the crack beneath the window that may be because of the knocking through into extension below. Perhaps the wall is not properly supported by a steel or concrete beam, or that it was allowed to drop when said beam was installed. A solicitor can usually confirm the presence of building regulation inspection regarding extensions, which would indicate it was done correctly.

I'm not an expert, and it's difficult to tell from photographs. A survey before buying a property is a wise investment anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back