Cracked backplate on outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with this. Plumber fitted this about 6 months ago but we noticed a spray of water coming from the outside tap and discovered a crack along the length of the backplate. Plumber isn't available for another week and we're on a water meter!!

Iain

Sponsored Links
if the outside tap was fitted to current regs you should have isolation inside to turn it off. :LOL:

You can turn (all) the water off at the pavement (if that's where the meter is it'll be easy).

Sponsored Links
man ,people respond fast here!

I've shut of the mains. No isolation valve, so my plumber didn't install to latest regs! So I nip out and ask for an "stop end"? Does this need special tools?

If you are going to do the stopend yourself, what is stopping you replacing the wall plate? They both need about the same skill level....

The original backplate probably split because the plumber screwed the tap in too tightly - trying to get its spout to point downwards.

After fitting a new backplate, put plenty of ptfe tape on the tap's thread before screwing it in. If the tap doesn't point in the right direction, when tightened, unscrew it and add or remove ptfe tape as necessary. It may take several attempts to get right.

too late. I've cust the pipe and fitted a stop end, which is water tight but there is a valve on the oppsoite side of the T-joint which has water coming out of it despite the fact it's in the closed position. Any ideas?

Yeah, a pain in the botty. I use threadlock goo for things like that. Once set, it won't move without heat.

That was a reference to the previous post about ptfe tape!

you would not have the problem you have now if your plumber had done his job properly to begin with another 40 pound outside tap job pay peanuts get monkeys :rolleyes:

You might have to do a Red Adair:
Put an orange Mac on,
turn on all the other taps in the house which will reduce the pressure & flow a bit,
take off the offending valve,
replace it with a new valve which is in the open position,
close the new valve.
Mop up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back