Cracked cieling

I think Nige F is right about not worrying too much over the roof but it's always wise to find out if the structure needs strengthening to accommodate the extra weight of concrete tiles before replacing slate. (Maybe you did?) I only mentioned the roof because a crack that is widening to 3/16" does sound like a little more than the movement you would normally expect in a lath and plaster ceiling, although, on the joint of a slope, is possible.

As said, it's not going to collapse but it is worth asking a question in one of the other forums just to put your mind at ease. If any work is required, just make sure you know exactly what needs to be done and is exactly what you get for your money.

I hope it is just settlement and that the bonding/filler solves the problem, if only in the short term.

Sponsored Links
Well with regard to the bonding/filler Maggie I will keep my fingers crossed for you ;)

Dec

Hello again,
Well it seems you were right that the roof might be the cause of the problem because today my friends son who is a clerk of works for the councils building dept called by to have a look and found that there is a split in the purling. He said it is not bad but is probably causing some flexing as the weatehr changes and is likely to be causing the crack so advised that the purling is braced by ?sistering? it with an 8 foot 6 by 2 to stop further movement but is not essential if we could live with the crack. He said the rafters and bracing are more than capable of bearing the weight of the tiles though so that's a weight off our minds , so to speak.
Anyway he told my husband what to do and it is very cheap and simple so he is going to do it tomorrow with our grandson's help(or vice versa if the truth be told). Hopefully this will stop the crack coming back so we won't need to be doing it again a few years down the line when we are in our 80's. We are waiting to finish the fillig until after this is done and then do the rest of the decorating in the room.
Thank-you to everyone for your advice especially concerning the roof which we never even thought of.
Maggie

Sponsored Links
Oh I forgot to mention that the gap in the soffet was for ventilation and has a fine wire mesh above it which can't be seen from outside so we were told that we should take the beading that we put ther off.

Maggie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back