Crack upstairs interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can provide some advice..... I have noticed a crack that has appeared on our bedroom wall, the wall is an interior wall with the hallway being on the other side. The crack is in the centre of the room running from the floor straight up and is about 8 inches in length and is definately a hairline crack.

We haven't carried out any decorating in this room, the house was built around 1860 so the walls are lath and plaster as opposed to plasterboard.

If this was where we had carried out some decorating or there was a leak I could understand the reason for the crack. Would be grateful for any thoughts.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
My advice would be to fill it and ignore it. It doesn't sound like much of a problem really.

But if it comes back or gets worse - post a photo.

To get light cracking in a lath and plaster wall/ceiling is very common. The 8"crack you have in your wall, is "trivial" and you shouldn't worry about it at all.
On the other hand,, to find a lath and plaster wall/ceiling "without" cracks in them would be a rarity.

Sponsored Links
Scrape it out (widen it) brush all dust from within it, and then fill. Should solve the problem.

I have found (does not always work) that if you drill a hole at either end of the crack it stops it spreading.

They used to do this with stress cracks on aircraft (not anymore though) and it also often worked. But because it did not always work, they stopped doing it on aircraft, but they still do it on ground based constructions. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back