cracks appearing at top of internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We recently had a new boiler fitted and all the old header tanks and associated support woodwork was removed from the loft. This was a couple of months ago and we have now noticed cracks appearing along the tops of the walls in the bedroom and hallway that was underneath the tanks, along with a crack halfway down the stairs where the wall joins with plasterboard.

Could these be caused by the uplift of the ceilings (if you see what I mean) after the removal of the heavy tanks? We bought the house a few months ago and they were not there then and the house had not been recently decorated, so had not been subjected to a quick fix as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Al

Sponsored Links
Just done the same to a property I have, have similar gaps but will be coving the walls so will hide the gaps.Though gaps can appear at any time in any age of property due to changes in property use and externall forces [weather].

These seem to be thermal cracks due to seasonal or internal heating patterns.

They can occur any time, and in your case, most likely due to different heating patterns to the previous occupants

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back