Cracked cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My lav ceramic cistern has developed a very fine hairline crack all along the bottom from one side to the other (front to back). This was caused by hot water getting in there when the thermostat failed in my hot water tank (so i've just had a plumber deal with all of that).

Water is slowly but surely seeping out from this crack. The actual crack is more evident on the inside and barely noticeable on the outside but nonetheless its still dripping water out onto my floor.

I put some duct tape over it but it has limited effect especially around the plastic surrounding which connects the downpipe from the cistern to the toilet.

Are there any good water resistant sealants or fillers which would do the job if applied to the inside? Everything i looked at so far said not suitable for use with standing water - which is exactly what this is.

I hope replacing the cistern isnt the only option... still waiting for the bill from getting the thermostat replaced. I would have asked the plumber when he was doing that but only noticed it there today.

Sponsored Links
I've a feeling that you may have to replace the cistern.

In the meantime you could dry it out thoroughly and coat the inside of the crack with epoxy resin (araldite etc).

Isolate it and drain it down - if the cistern splits you'll have a lot of water on the floor and a ciontinual flow from the inlet

Sponsored Links
I'll call the plumber first thing tomorrow. Best to get it replaced i guess.
Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back