Crack in toilet cistern - Advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Today I was changing my toilet cistern handle from brass to chrome and noticed at the bottom of the cistern what appears to be a crack right next to the water inlet.

I drained out the water for a closer inspection and removed the inlet valve.

Looking at the pictures, is there anything I can do with this to repair it ?

Thanks for any advice.

View media item 23027

Sponsored Links
It could have been there for ages and has never been a problem.
Is it visible from underneath?
If its worrying you, make sure the surface is perfectly dry and clean, and smear some Araldite over the crack and allow it to dry completely.
John :)

If it's not leaking, leave well enough alone. It's been fine all this time.

Is it leaking? If not, leave it be, refit the fill valve using silicone to seal it, leave for 24 hours to dry before refilling (or buy some silicone that will seal underwater). Basically, if it ain't broke...

Sponsored Links
I effing hate it when people use silicone on toilets.

Yeah know what you mean, it's a pain and generally I don't, but if a crack like this is causing a leak it's sometimes the only way to sort it...

Its usually only possible to make a ( temporary ) repair with silicone or araldite if the cistern is not only emptied and allowed to become totally dry over several days or with a hairdryer for quite a long while.

Even then it needs considerable time to cure before refilling.

Tony

Same here. Stick tiles on with it, and loads of other stuff. PROPER JOB! :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back