HELP HELP !!! MY TOILET CISTERN HAS A CRACK, HOW DO I SEAL??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, 3 months ago we had a new downstairs toilet fitted. the plumber said (when he had finished fitting it) there was a slight crack to the back of the cistern, it didnt go through to the ceramic but he put some sealer on the inside anyway.
I told Wickes and they said we could exchange or see how it went. We opted to see how it went as we would have to pay the plumber (he wont work for free) to disconnect and then refit new cistern.
I have drained the cistern off and cant really see anything that looks too serious but there is a hairline cracking. What can I seal this with, bearing in mind in will in water all the time as its inside the cistern.
I want to take this option at the mo as mentioned plumbers dont work for free, surely there is something it can be sealed with. I was thinking of something that would be used on boat as this is water all the time.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :) :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Even if someone gives you a magic cure on here what happens if that fails in time and the crack creeps/fails and you're out of the house at the time? You know you gotta change the cistern really don't you?

I would echo what has been said already - for peace of mind get a new cistern.

If WICKES will swap it then great but even if you have to buy a new one it won't cost the earth.

As for fitting, what type of cistern is it? Fitting a new cistern isn't as daunting a task as you may think and the average DIYer who has a bit of experience would be able to do it especially if the supply can be easily isolated.

That's just my humble opinion of course. I wouldn't think that a plumber would charge that much for a cistern refit anyhow [but I could be wrong!!!]

:D

Firstly, thank you for those replies. I will add its NOT what I wanted to hear but I do think you are right.
Secondly, I have peeled back the silicone and cannot even see a crack but obviously there is one there. I am trying a bit a time to fill the cistern less and less until I find the leak so have to keep checking that the soak up cloth that I put there has stayed dry.
I really did think there would be something on the market to seal it. I mean we have had a narrowboat in the past and have heard of leaks being sealed so is there NOTHING at all I could try.
I cant tackle it myself and I dont know where you live but I know that I will be ripped off by my plumber for fitting a new one, I dont want to try anyone else I dont know as I have had enough of cowboys.
Again if anyone does have any suggestions. Please.

Sponsored Links
Just get a new one. It will be cheaper in the long term than messing about trying various sealers.

If its from Wickes, get a like for like, it wouldn't take long to do it yourself.
Its not hard, and minimal tools are needed.

Right then Hitachimad, you come and do it for me.
Looks like I will ringing Wickes tomorrow AND calling the plumber. Thanks again for the repies, sometimes I know you have to be cruel to be kind. :rolleyes:

there must be glues you can get that work under water... could you try a fishtank supplier?

but in all honesty i'd echo what everyone else has said... you have to replace it. I'm a diy'er and have fitted two.... they are quite easy. But if you can't do it yourself, then i suggest you get a number of QUOTES from plumbers. That way you spot the cowboys and get yourself a new decent plumber.

who supplied the cistern you or the plumber!!!!

don't know if i would blame the leak on a hairline crack you need quite a big crack to overcome surface tension!!

you shure its not leaking somwhere else!!!

A tip:

when you are asking plumbers for advice, some of them will become curmudgeonly when you say to them:

I know that I will be ripped off by my plumber for fitting a new one, I dont want to try anyone else I dont know as I have had enough of cowboys.

You try and bodge it together - it fails - then your supplier will say you did it. Change it while the offer is there !

IMO the issue is not so much a hairline crack leaking water, but a hairline crack weakening the cistern asa whole and then it failing under the weight of itself and the water inside it . . .

I would be inclined to use your original fitter - he was good enough to tell you of the crack - which he might not have in case you said he did it !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back