Cracked concrete lintel repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved into an old Yorkshire stone terraced house. The window in the kitchen has been replaced with a wider one at some point over the last 30 years, with the opening widened and a concrete lintel installed. I recently noticed a vertical crack in the centre of the lintel, which seems to go at least half way in. There's no damage to the brickwork above and there's been no evidence of movement since we moved in, so I think it's probably been that way for a long time and wasn't picked up on the survey.

As it's a concrete lintel - which presumably has a steel rod inside - is it likely to need attention? I've heard that it's possible to insert an addition bar (helical?) to reinforce it. Does this sound right, and if so, is it an expensive job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get it checked out by a structural engineer.

Blup

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back