Cracked floor tiles - Slab joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

When we purchased our hose a couple of years ago, we had a line of cracked tiles in the hallway. I'm in the process of decorating the hallway and have decided to address the cracked tiles.

Today, I've remove the 3 cracked tiles and have found the root cause of the cracking. It appears the floor was laid in 2 separate pours and there is a seam directly under where the tiles cracked.

I assume since the floor was laid there has been a some movement, however, in this scenario I have read that there should be an expansion joint up to the surface of the ties to prevent the new ties just cracking again.

Here's the problem:

floor1.JPG

floor2.jpg

Here's what I believe I need:

http://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/til...-Movement-Joints/Heavy-Duty-Beige-08mm/14972/

Is this the best course of action here? Anyone any experience with this type of joint?

I will need to cut the tiles to fit the joint (as its part way through a complete tile) - Will a good finish be achievable? I assume a 8mm depth as my tiles are 8mm thick.

Thanks in advance![/url]

Sponsored Links
An expansion joint where the two meet is the only way you’re going to prevent it cracking again. A proprietary joint will do it but another method is to tile up to the crack either side & run a silicone bead between the two; cheaper but may not look as good. The expansion joint must obviously straddly the floor joint.

You need to allow for the depth of tile adhesive which is usually 3-4mm on a solid bed adhesive base. Use cement based adhesive only, tub mix isn’t suitable for floors. You must acrylic prime anhydrite screed when using cement based adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back