Tiling Large area - screed + wet underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are getting the ground floor tiled - apx 80sqm in a bunch of rooms - and need to check a few things:

1. Where do i need to put expansion joints?

We have screed on the floor with the fibres, and in some places this has cracked over the past few months - should i put the expansion joint on the cracks?

It tends to be in the doorways mainly

2. Should the underfloor heating be turned on or off when tiling?

I'll be using Mapei Keraflex S1 (not the rapid set one)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
steve, you've run into trouble before a single tile is laid -

tiling always depends on the prep work, starting with the base/background your working off.
there's various expansion joints and lots more methods of installing them.
some even go down through the screed into the slab. some are shallow and simply sit in the adhesive.
installing expansion joint's at door thresholds is a necessary practice. but it has to be the correct piece correctly installed.

you are taking on a large and potentially difficult job for a DIY'er - are you living in the house?
i advise DIY'ers to have a go first in a small room, and always use Schluter's Ditra matting and movement joints.
the matting will take up movement and prevents damp - not that i like the stuff, its expensive but it does work.
however, some cracks have to be treated with special care.

keraflex is a good brand.
UFH should be off for 24hrs before the job and for 24/48 afterwards - but read the instructions on the adhesive bags.

steve, you've run into trouble before a single tile is laid -

tiling always depends on the prep work, starting with the base/background your working off.
there's various expansion joints and lots more methods of installing them.
some even go down through the screed into the slab. some are shallow and simply sit in the adhesive.
installing expansion joint's at door thresholds is a necessary practice. but it has to be the correct piece correctly installed.

you are taking on a large and potentially difficult job for a DIY'er - are you living in the house?
i advise DIY'ers to have a go first in a small room, and always use Schluter's Ditra matting and movement joints.
the matting will take up movement and prevents damp - not that i like the stuff, its expensive but it does work.
however, some cracks have to be treated with special care.

keraflex is a good brand.
UFH should be off for 24hrs before the job and for 24/48 afterwards - but read the instructions on the adhesive bags.

We'e got a tiler in to do the floor but he has insisted that we don't need any expansion joints and it should all be fine..
Spoke to a builder friend who said that it was needed and at minimum in the door entries.

Bit concerned now as some of the tiles have been laid - I've told the tiler to put a movement joint in the door which he has done similar to this one
https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/fixing...VyrHtCh2W1wwgEAQYAiABEgI20PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attached a rough sketch - redlines are where i'm planning to get those joints put in

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-08 at 21.38.40.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-08 at 21.38.40.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 295
Sponsored Links
Hi,

We are getting the ground floor tiled - apx 80sqm in a bunch of rooms - and need to check a few things:

1. Where do i need to put expansion joints?

We have screed on the floor with the fibres, and in some places this has cracked over the past few months - should i put the expansion joint on the cracks?

It tends to be in the doorways mainly

2. Should the underfloor heating be turned on or off when tiling?

I'll be using Mapei Keraflex S1 (not the rapid set one)

Thanks!

sorry to hijack your thread but we’re in almost identical position and was wondering what you were quoted for the job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back