Cracked Flue - For Gas Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have recently moved into a 1970's built Semi detached. As it was a repossession i had the fire and gas tested by British Gas. The fire works correctly however the problem i have is that the flue in the loft seems to be cracked.

The flue in the loft seems to be made out pieces of cast metal that have been rivetted together (a bit like an old stove flue), however the bottom section is loose. My uncle who is a plumber (not a very good one if im honest!), has taped some of the joins towards the top of the flue with what looks like aluminium tape and i believe he used something called Plumbers Flue as an adhesive for the tape (it was a deep purple/red colour).

After he left i tested the flue with a smoke bomb and it seems to be still leaking from the bottom section (a section that my uncle didnt tape up).

Does anyone have any recommendations to what i can do to fix this? I was informed that to replace the whole flue i would have to remove the entire thing from the gas fire upwards (this sounds like a very messy job) or can i tape the bottom section of the flue as above (if so what materials do i need).

Would it be possible to remove the flue section in the loft and replace it with something a bit more modern?

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
pictures speak a thousand words but it sounds knackered.

i wouldnt tape it up with anything, thats a little temporary IMO. i would recommend getting a good independant in to sort it properly as BG wont do this for you. it'll probably cost you though.

Your Uncle is Naughty too :eek: He should know- as a plumber- ( as I am ) that a flue is only to be repaired etc. by Gas Safe reg. person. As to BG ..should they have tested the flue too ..as part of the installation . :?: I`m sure the Gas Safe guys will put you right very soon . Don`t use it util it`s sorted :!:

Sponsored Links
The flue should have been inspected along its entire length during the safety inspection.....................................no excuses ( unless there was no access) i always put a flue inspected sticker on or very close to the flue and sign it so it can be seen that i have inspected the flue...

regarding the issue now, don`t use fire until its been repaired or replaced by an RGI.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back