coal fire and gas flue regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was was wondering what are the regulations regarding a old bedroom coal fire flue and a living room gas fire flue.

If the gas fire flue runs up the side of the bedroom coal fire flue, should the bedroom coal fire be bricked up due to the possibity that fumes from the gas fire cold enter the bedroom if the mid feathers have gone?

I think I read a regulation a few years ago that any old bedroom coal fires not in use should be bricked up for this reason?

Could some kind soul please confirm and if so provide a link to the regulation.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't think so. The chimney/flue should be checked that there are no issues when installing the fire. For example a tenamental property can have a dozen, or more, chimneys running along side each other. There isn't a requirement to build up all the ones without a working fire.

If you were to block up the bedroom fireplace you would leave an opening for ventilation anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back