Replacement Gas Fire\New Coal, Log Open Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning guys, currently re-doing the Livingroom and the misses wants to replace the old gas fire with a new surround and fire, whereas I want to install an open coal\log fire. Currently the gas fire has been removed and a chimney sweeper coming today. The fire space is completely clear and ass it stands just a big brick chamber. What steps are need to be taken if I want to convert to an open fire? I would like to keep the brick chamber as large as possible and have a metal basket sitting in the chamber to hold the coal\logs. Could I render the brick chamber and paint? or does some sort of internal chamber surround need to be fitted?

Sponsored Links
Are you mad? :D Go with your missus. Coalbaskets are hugely inefficient and expensive to run, contrary to the current fad. Do you really want to ruin your floor covering with the fire spitting burning embers, and the draught blowing soot into your room. Do you honestly want a basket of wood and coal, and assorted garden insects sitting permanently in your lounge?

You can't turn the fire on for ten minutes when coming home from the pub and before going to bed - you have to plan to use it. And when you do you will be forever jumping up and down to feed it.

And guess who gets the job of cleaning it?

IF everything is in order, you could just sit a dog grate in there, but you have to be careful with the size of the opening, the flue size and the position of the basket. Also you need a non combustible area in front of the fire. You would be best to get advice from the shop selling the gear. Remember that for the type of fire you are considering you are REQUIRED to have an air vent AND a CO alarm (the latter is a "Good thing").

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back